When most people think of sexual problems in guys, they think about things like erectile dysfunction or premature ejaculation. But low sperm count is another common issue, especially for men in a relationship who are trying to conceive a child. Understanding more about what causes low sperm count and how to overcome it is important.
Basically, low sperm count is just what it sounds like. When a man ejaculates, millions of sperm are contained in the semen. The lower the amount of sperm the less likely it is that a woman will become pregnant. Men with sperm counts that are lower than 15 million per milliliter are considered to have this issue.
There are a few common causes of this problem, including:
- Infection – Sometimes infection can reduce sperm production. Things like chlamydia, gonorrhea, and urinary tract infections are common culprits. Other issues like inflammation of the testicles caused by mumps or an inflamed prostate may trigger the issue as well.
- Hormonal Imbalances – If hormone levels aren’t where they should be, the production of sperm can be upset significantly.
- Sperm Duct Issues – When the ducts that carry sperm are blocked or damaged due to illness or injury, sperm may have a harder time leaving the testicle and entering the semen.
- Ejaculation Issues – Things like retrograde ejaculation, spinal injuries, and surgery could cause ejaculation problems to occur.
- Lifestyle Factors – Things like obesity, alcohol use, emotional stress, illegal drug use, smoking, and more can all factor into low sperm count.
There are a few treatment options worth considering, depending on the cause of your problem.
- Hormone Therapy – Hormone replacement therapy is often enough to improve sperm levels.
- Surgery – Corrective surgery may be needed if veins or tubes are damaged due to injury or illness.
- Infection Treatment – Treating infections that cause trouble in the reproductive system may help as well.
- Natural Male Enhancement Products – Certain supplements may be able to help boost sperm production in some men. Natural male enhancement products like this have been studied in recent years and while more info is needed into just how well they work, a good bit of evidence exists that suggests these supplements are worth trying for men with sexual issues.
Sperm count issues aren’t something that should bring shame. They’re actually very common, and most men who suffer from them are still able to have quality sexual relationships. But if fertility is a concern, there are options for overcoming this issue.