Many men are well aware of prescription drugs that are used as male enhancement products. Such drugs are commonly promoted through many media outlets. However, there are also many all-natural approaches to combating this same problem. Such male enhancement products can be purchased and used without the need for a prescription, and many positive user testimonials attest to the claimed benefits of these herbal supplements.
Of course, as with all supplements, it is important to research each product before making any purchases.
To make this process easier, we’ve taken the time to provide basic information on what to expect from male enhancement supplements.
Male Enhancement Products: A Look At The Labels
Perhaps the most important issue to consider prior to making any purchases of these supplements is an item’s list of ingredients.
There are many ingredients that have shown promise in enhancing male sexual performance, and the following compounds are among these substances:
- Ginkgo Biloba: This plant improves blood flow, which in turn may also improve erections in males.
- Eurycoma Longifolia: Enhanced arousal, increased testosterone levels, and improved desire are all among the promised benefits of this herb. According to the Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2012 study, Eurycoma longifolia (EL) has been reported to enhance testosterone level and prevent bone calcium loss but there is a paucity of research regarding its effect on the bone structural parameters.
- Momordica Charantia: This herb may increase testosterone levels. According to the Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2014 May study, oral administration of leaf extracts of Momordica charantia affect reproductive hormones of adult female Wistar rats.
- Astragalus Membranaceus: Increased energy levels are the promised results of this ingredient (source).
- Herba Cistanches: A traditionally used herbal supplement, herba cistanches can help treat impotence in males (source).
- Niacin: According to the J Sex Med. 2011 study, Niacin alone can improve the erectile function in patients suffering from moderate to severe ED and dyslipidemia.
- L-Arginine: This compound is primarily important due to the role it may take in increasing the dilation of blood vessels to the penile chambers. A study in the Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy found that L-arginine and pycnogenol supplements helped a significant number of men ages 25 to 45 with ED achieve normal erections.
- Tribulus: Like many of the previous ingredients, Tribulus promises to increase testosterone levels. Research has found that Tribulus terrestris may improve libido in women and men with reduced sex drives. Other reports showed significant improvements in erections and sexual satisfaction with a dose of 1,500 mg per day
- Avena Sativa: This is a fairly commonly present in aphrodisiac (source).
- Maca Powder: Praised for both its antioxidants and its ability to support sexual desire, this powder may offer benefits to an individual’s overall health as well as his sexual performance. A review from 2010 that included four randomized clinical studies with a total of 131 participants found evidence that maca improves sexual desire after at least six weeks of ingestion.
- Tongkat Ali: This is an energy booster that also combats premature ejaculation (source).
- Saw Palmetto: The inclusion of this compound in a product’s formula may mean that the product can offer support to the prostate gland which is responsible for maintaining sperm health (source).
- Herba Epimedium: This herb offers benefits to those suffering from impotence and erectile dysfunction alike (source).
What To Expect From A Male Enhancement Product?
All men are different, so the same product may work slightly differently from individual to individual. However, typical benefits of male enhancement supplements include erections that are more impressive in girth, length, and firmness; other benefits may include increased endurance during sex, improved arousal, enhanced sexual desire, prevention of premature ejaculation, and boosted testosterone levels (source).
Most of these supplements work by increasing testosterone levels and increasing the flow of blood to the penile region. This increase in blood flow may aid in creating all of the mentioned benefits, partially through creating more swollen penile tissues. Other compounds in male enhancement supplements may aid in increasing overall energy levels which may be beneficial for increasing endurance/stamina.
Choosing the right male enhancement products may seem like an enormous task, considering the number of such products marketed today. However, by researching a product’s ingredients and the promised benefits of those ingredients. Males should have a good chance of finding the right supplement for their personal needs.
At the same time, consumers should also consider the overall value of each product. And calculate the needed dosages of these supplements should be beneficial for determining this factor.
Below, we’ve analyzed the top male performance enhancers based on their ingredients and promised benefits.