Erectile dysfunction is a condition in which a man is unable to achieve and maintain an erection that is needed for a successful sexual intercourse. The condition is quite common in men who are over the age of 40 years. The condition is not life threatening but often comes with serious consequences on the lives of those affected by it. It is a condition that can lead to divorces, promiscuity or infidelity. This is why it is very important that affected people be thoroughly screened and investigated so that appropriate treatment be given to them.
What are the Causes of Erectile Dysfunction?
- Age: In most men as they age they start to develop a decrease in their sexual drive due to a number of factors. Most aged men who are aged 40 and above will start to experience a decrease in testosterone levels. Testosterone is the hormone that helps men to have a healthy sex drive and therefore a decrease of it in the body will certainly lead to a lowered libido.
- Vascular Problems: men who are experiencing problems with blood flow in their body will suffer from erectile dysfunction. There has to be sufficient blood flow to the penis for it to be erect enough to sustain meaningful sexual intercourse. When there are obstacles in the blood vessels that lead to the penis, the affected man will not be able to achieve an erection that will enable him to satisfy the lady.
- Health Conditions: Men with diabetes and heart disease will also suffer from erectile dysfunction. If a man is suffering from diabetes for instance, he will experience a reduced sensation and may have find it hard to rise to the occasion.
- Smoking And Substance Abuse: research suggests that men who smoke and abuse alcohol will suffer from erectile dysfunction at one time in their lives. Smoking has been found to alter a person’s blood pressure something that will definitely inhibit his sexual activity.
- Medications: there are certain kinds of medications that will cause impotence in men. Medicines used to treat heart conditions like depressants or narcotics may work to reduce a man’s ability to become erect thus resulting to impotence.
- Anxiety and Depression: People sometimes are bound to get anxious or even become depressed. Sex is mainly mentally oriented so when one gets depressed he may find it difficult to become erect and so will not be able to do sex.
What are the Risk Factors for Erectile Dysfunction?
Some of the risk factors for erectile dysfunction include the following:
- Smoking and alcoholism.
- High blood pressure.
- High levels of cholesterol in the blood.
- Not exercising.
- Problems with metabolism.
How Can Erectile Dysfunction Be Diagnosed?
Any qualified and competent doctor should be able to diagnosis erectile dysfunction easily. All the possible underlying problems including physical, psychological and hormonal should be addressed for an accurate diagnosis to be found.
Treatment For Erectile Dysfunction
There are various treatment options for erectile dysfunction patients to choose from. Some of those treatment options have their pros and cons too and therefore one should be able to choose one that best suits him. Below are the treatment options for erectile dysfunction:
Treating The Underlying Condition
Men whose erectile dysfunction is as a result of an underlying condition like heart disease or diabetes may need to treat the disease first to see change. There are many cases where men who treated their heart disease or diabetes found erectile dysfunction relief.
Men taking medications that have been found to cause erectile dysfunction should resort to alternative medications if they want to treat the condition. They should not do this without the advice of qualified medical practitioners.
Making Lifestyle Changes
Erectile dysfunction that is as a result of the lifestyle of a person e.g. alcoholism or smoking can be treated by simply making changes. If you are the constant alcoholic simply put a stop to the habit and you will see remarked change. These are other changes that you can also make to your lifestyle:
- Losing weight if you are overweight.
- Avoid the intake of illegal drugs.
- Doing exercises regularly.
- Reduce your stress.
Making lifestyle changes will not only help you with your erectile dysfunction issue alone but also help you with your general health.
Erectile dysfunction is a condition that can bring about many problems to a man’s intimate relationship and that is why there is need to address it before it gets out of hand. As discussed above once you have realized that you are suffering from its symptoms go and see a doctor so that proper therapy can be instituted right away. If your erectile dysfunction is as a result of your lifestyle the best thing to do is to make changes to your lifestyle.